How Early Can I Enter the U.S. on a Student Visa?

You were recently approved for a student visa, and now you want to book your plane ticket to travel to the United States. After all, you need some time to set up your new home, get used to your neighborhood, and shop for school supplies and other necessities. Now you’re wondering: How early can I arrive? Here’s some more information.

How Early You Can Enter the U.S. 

Student (F and M) visas for new students may be issued up to 120 days before the start of your program of study. Then, once you’ve obtained F-1 or J-1 status, you can enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start of your program. It’s best to arrive in the U.S. as early as possible so that you can get settled in, but at the very least, you should leave yourself two weeks’ time. If you want to arrive earlier, then you’ll have to apply and qualify for a visitor (B) visa separately. 

Applying for a Student Visa

You’ll need to find a program of study and find out which visa category you need – F or M. Then, navigate to to find out about the application process for your visa. One of the steps you’ll have to take is filling out the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you have questions about getting a student visa? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel® through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.