Different Types of Student Visas in Florida, Explained

If you are coming to the United States to study at a college in Florida, then you may be eligible for one of three types of student visas. Here is some more information on each type so you can determine which one you’ll use for your specific situation.

F-1 Visa

An F-1 visa is the most popular kind of student visa. It’s given to students who are going to study at an accredited U.S. university, college, high school, or some other academic institution. Students need to be enrolled full-time and show that they will have financial support while they are studying. They can stay in the U.S. as long as they are studying full-time. 

J-1 Visa

A J-1 visa is for people who are going to be in a study or work exchange program that involves cultural exchange. Individuals who wish to qualify for a J-1 visa need to show they have medical insurance and they are skilled at speaking English. They also need to demonstrate that they have enough funding to cover their stay and show how long they are going to stay. 

M-1 Visa

An M-1 visa is for people who are enrolled in non-academic studies as well as vocational programs in the U.S. United States Citizenship & Immigration Services needs to approve the vocational program and individuals need to be proficient in English, have a permanent residence in their country of origin, and have enough money to cover their stay in the U.S. They also need to show when they intend to complete their course and return home. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you need help with getting a student visa? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.