White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

Does Marrying a United States Citizen Make Me a Citizen?

One of the ways in which you can become a U.S. citizen is to marry a U.S. citizen. However, it’s not so easy, and you’ll have to go through certain steps in order to gain your citizenship. It’s crucial to find out more information before you make any decisions.

Living in the U.S.

After you have lived in the U.S. continuously for three years, you can then apply for your green card through Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. You need to have been married the entire time, and your spouse should have been a U.S. citizen the entire time as well. You also need to have lived in the state where you are applying for at least three months, be able to pass English and U.S. history and government tests, and be a person of good moral character.  

Proving Your Marriage is Real

It’s critical that you don’t marry someone just to get a green card. This is not allowed. After three years of being married, you can apply for a green card, but you’ll have to show that you have a “bona fide” marriage. You’ll need to provide your marriage certification when you hand in your green card application, as well as provide the documents required in your I-130 petition package and answer questions when you have your green card interview. During the interview, you will be questioned about your day-to-day life with your spouse and your future plans together. 

If you reach out to a Florida immigration attorney, you’ll find out what kinds of questions will be asked and the documents you will need to hopefully get your green card ASAP. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you have questions on how to become a U.S. citizen? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.