White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

Extending a Student Visa in Florida

You’ve been studying in Florida for some time, and now you want to extend your stay. Learn about what to do to make this possible so that you can continue on in your undergraduate or graduate program.

The F-1 Visa Stamp Date

You will receive a stamp on your F-1 visa, and it will contain a date. This is not the date that your visa expires. This stamp lets you enter the United States, and when it expires, you will need to renew it if you plan on leaving the country and trying to reenter, i.e. if you go home to visit your parents in another country and then come back.

Extending Your Program End Date

Instead of looking at the visa stamp date, you’ll need to find the program end date that’s on the I-20 form your program gave you. If you require more time to finish your program and you’re working at a normal pace to get your degree, you will have to request an extension through your Designated School Official (DSO) before your program ends.

Consequences of Not Making the Deadline

If you do not contact your DSO before your program end date, you’ll need to get in touch with them immediately. When this happens, you will need to request a new I-20 form from your DSO or apply for reinstatement. It is critical that you take care of extending your visa well before your program ends, or else you may have to leave the country or accumulate unlawful presence if your reinstatement gets denied.

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you have questions about getting or extending a student visa? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.