Frequently Asked Questions About Family Visas in Florida

You want to come to the United States to live and work in Florida. Perhaps you’re already visiting Florida on a trip, but it’s your goal to get a visa and stay longer. You may be able to get a family visa.

Learn more about these visas and the process of applying for one with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer.

What Are Family Visas?

If you have family members in the U.S. who are citizens, you could get a family-based immigrant visa. There are different types of visas you could apply for depending on your situation.

What Are the Types of Family Visas?

Some of the family visa options available to you are the K1 fiancé(e) visa, the K-2 visa, the K-3 spouse visa, or the K-4 child of a spouse visa. If you are marrying a citizen but you aren’t one yet, then you could get the K-1 visa. After getting your visa, you need to come to the U.S. within 180 days, and after you arrive in the U.S., you’ll need to marry within 90 days. You will also be required to pass a medical exam.

A K-2 visa would apply if you have children and you’re getting married to a U.S. citizen. You would be able to bring your children over with that visa. If you’re a noncitizen and already married to a U.S. citizen, you could apply for a K-3 visa. And if you’re a noncitizen living in the U.S. under a K-3 visa and you have young children, you can get a K-4 visa so that your children can live in the U.S., too.

How Do You Apply for a Family Visa?

To get a family visa, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident in your family will need to fill out the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) and send it to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once USCIS approves it, they will then send the petitioner a notice of approval, which is Form I-797, a Notice of Action, and they can complete it from there.

Is it Hard to Get a Family Visa?

While it can be difficult for people to obtain visas and citizenship in general, family members of U.S. citizens will receive priority. Spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents of U.S. citizens at least 21 years old are available at all times. There is no limit on them. As long as you fill out the proper forms and do everything as requested, your process should go smoothly.

Should I Work With an Attorney?

It’s advisable to work with an experienced immigration attorney on securing a family visa so that you fill out the forms properly and do everything right. Then, you’ll know that you will have a much greater chance of getting the visa when you need it. Just make sure that you don’t hesitate to fill out the forms ASAP since the process can take some time. Contact an attorney now for assistance with family visas.

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you have questions about obtaining a family visa in Florida? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.