White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

How Does a Family Preference Visa Work in Florida?

There are different ways you can immigrate to the U.S., and one of them is through family members. If you have family members already living in Florida, then you can look into what’s called a family preference visa. Here is some more information so you can find out if you’re eligible for this visa. 

How a Family Preference Visa Works

If you have a relative who is a green card holder, then you can enter the U.S. You are eligible to apply if you are an unmarried child or the spouse of a green card holder. If you are a married child or sibling of a U.S. citizen, then you can also enter the U.S. on this type of visa. The family preference visa is one of the most common ways that people become U.S. lawful permanent residents.

The Waiting Period for the Family Preference Visa

The U.S. government limits the number of green cards that they issue every year, so the waiting period may be substantial. You might have to wait several months or even years for approval. The wait will be longer or shorter depending on your relationship with the green card holder. 

You will be called the first preference if you are the unmarried child of a U.S. citizen and over 21 years old. People who are under 21 years of age, unmarried, and the children or spouse of a permanent resident are known as second preference. People who are over 21, unmarried, and the children of permanent residents are also second preference. Married children of U.S. citizens are third preference, and the siblings of U.S. citizens who are older than 21 are fourth preference.

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you need help with immigrating to the U.S.? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.