White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

How Does a J-1 Student Visa in Florida Work?

You’re interested in coming to Florida from another country and finding work, studying in a college, or both. You could potentially qualify for a J-1 student visa so that you can pursue academic study or earn some money in your job. Here’s some important information you’ll need to know before applying. 

What Is a J-1 Student Visa?

A J-1 student visa is also called an Exchange Visitor Visa. The Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in the U.S. approves certain study and work programs under the J-1 student visa. Some of the things you can do as a J-1 student visa holder include working as an au pair, camp counselor, professor, physician, trainee, or intern, or going to college or secondary school. 

Going to School in Florida

If you are applying for a J-1 student visa so that you can go to secondary school or a university in Florida, then you will be able to remain in Florida until the duration of your studies is complete. After you graduate, you’ll have to go back to your home country and live there for at least two years. You can then return to the U.S. after that.

Working While in School

You may also be interested in working while you’re in school. All you need to do is get work authorization to qualify. You can only work up to 20 hours per week on campus, but during school breaks, you can work full-time. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you need help with applying for a J-1 student visa? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.