White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

How Long Can I Be Out of the U.S. Before Losing Citizenship?

Thankfully, you’ve become a permanent resident of the United States, also known as a green card holder. While the journey has not been easy, you are excited about finally having this status.

Now, you want to travel abroad – perhaps to visit family and friends back home or to take an extended trip – and you’re wondering: How long can I go? By finding out the answer, you can avoid any issues when it comes to citizenship.

How Long You Can Be Out of the U.S. 

If you are a green card holder, you can travel abroad for less than six months at a time and not lose your continuous residence status, which means that you’ve maintained residence in the U.S. for a certain period of time. 

If you take a trip that lasts longer than six months but less than a year, it’s presumed that you will break your continuous residence. If you take a trip that lasts a year or more, your continuous residence will certainly be broken. 

Maintaining Continuous Residence

You’ll need to provide proof of continuous residence if there is a presumption that you broke it. This can come in the form of documented evidence, like the fact that you kept working as an employee for a company in the U.S. and didn’t get another job abroad. Or, perhaps, you had immediate family remain in the U.S. or you didn’t give up access to your home in the U.S. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you have questions about citizenship in the U.S.? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.