How Long Can I Stay in America Without a Visa?

You want to spend some time in America to see what it would be like to live there. However, you don’t want to go through the visa application process for your stay. Instead, you would rather buy a plane ticket, use your passport, and stay in America for as long as possible. By finding out how long you’re allowed to stay, you will avoid trouble with the immigration authorities.

How Long You Can Stay Without a Visa

You can stay in America for up to 90 days if you don’t have a visa under The Visa Waiver Program, which lets most nationals or citizens of participating countries travel to America for business stays or tourism for that amount of time. 

Countries Participating in the Visa Waiver Program

You can travel to America under the Visa Waiver Program if you are a national or citizen from:

  • ​​Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Countries Not Participating in the Visa Waiver Program

You will need to obtain a visa if the following applies to you:

  • Nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries who have traveled to or been present in Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen either on or after March 1, 2011. 
  • Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria.

If your country is not on either list, you will need to contact your embassy to find out the rules for traveling to and staying in the U.S. 

Contact a Florida Immigration Attorney

Do you need help getting a visa? Then contact U.S. Immigration Law Counsel through our website or by calling 1-800-666-4996. We deal with the government so you don’t have to. We look forward to assisting you.