White Background With Gold Text Logo of U.S. Immigration Law Counsel | Consular Processing Expert

Immigration Lawyer in Sunrise, FL

In Sunrise, 38% of the people were born in foreign countries. Like many other areas in South Florida, Sunrise is a haven for immigrants. If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a permanent resident, you’re not alone.

That said, immigration is not a simple process. Many individuals encounter problems in their quest to live in the United States. By working with an immigration lawyer in Sunrise, you can simplify the process. You can learn all about your options for immigration, and you can receive assistance with the filing. Here at the U.S. Immigration Law Counsel, we want to be there for you. Our firm can handle all of your immigration needs.

When Do You Need an Immigration Lawyer in Sunrise?

Because the immigration process is complex, most immigrants could benefit from working with a lawyer. They can represent you before the government and improve your chances at a successful outcome.

The government has strict policies in place to keep immigration to a minimum. If you try to face off to the government alone, your chances of success are minimal. The government is powerful and has many resources at its disposal. Meanwhile, you only have so much experience and time available to put into your case.

An immigration lawyer has more power and resources. With years of experience fighting for immigrants, experienced firms can represent your best interests. They can inform you of your viable options, expedite the process, and prevent you from making mistakes.

Common Questions About Immigration

Although you might know the basics of immigration, the topic is a broad one with many regulations. Before you decide to take action, you should familiarize yourself with some answers to the most common questions regarding immigration.

1. What is a Green Card?

A green card is a common term for a specific immigration form known as I-551. Despite its name, the card is not necessarily green. Rather, it’s a document that says you are a legal permanent resident of the United States.

To obtain permanent residency, you can use one of several avenues. For instance, you could become a resident through a family petition. You could also use an employment visa or investment visa.

When you receive your green card, it comes with conditions. You only have two years to live in the United States before you can renew your green card. In order to renew it, you need to meet the requirements.

2. Is it Possible to Extend Student Visas?

Student visas are temporary visas that allow students from foreign countries to continue their studies in the United States. However, you may be able to extend your student visa. If the immigration authorities believe that you only want to stay in the country on a temporary basis, they might agree to extend your visa.

However, you also need to show that you have enough money to stay for the duration of your visa. And you must have a legitimate reason for requesting an extension.

3. How Can You Prevent Deportation or Removal Proceedings?

Some permanent and non-permanent residents receive notices of removal proceedings or deportation. If you receive such a notice, you need to take action. Otherwise, you will be sent back to your home country.

If you choose to fight the proceedings, you must make a strong case. The Department of Homeland Security makes the final decision. They look at your criminal record, business interests, and family. When you work with a lawyer, they can help you build a case. If they are successful, you can stay in the country.

Some people falsely believe that being in the country for ten years means you have an instant green card. However, this is far from the truth. You can’t automatically receive your green card. But you can use your ten-year status to seek a cancelation of removal. If you’ve been in the country for ten continuous years, the Attorney General could cancel removal orders. The individual needs to be in good moral standing. Additionally, there needs to be evidence that their removal would cause hardship to their relatives.

A successful cancellation of removal results in a green card. Therefore, it is possible to obtain your green card after ten years of living in the country. But it’s more complicated than most people realize.

4. How Can Your Family Members Come Into the Country?

If you are a permanent resident or citizen of the United States, you can petition for your family members to immigrate. This process is known as a family-based petition.

You can only petition for certain family members. For instance, citizens can petition for their children (unmarried or married), parents, and siblings. Permanent residents can petition for spouses and unmarried children.

The details surrounding the relationship impact eligibility. There are also waiting times, and your family might not receive a green card for years.

If the wait is too long, you could consider other options. If your family member has a special skill, they may be able to come on an employment visa. They could also come on a temporary basis with a tourist or visitor visa.

5. Can Criminals Immigrate to the U.S.?

A criminal conviction could keep you from immigrating to the U.S. However, there are some exceptions. Whether or not you can immigrate depends on the type of crime you committed and the date of your last conviction. If you committed a minor crime decades ago, you could have a chance at one day becoming a citizen.

Working with an Immigration Lawyer in Sunrise

Sunrise has a high number of individuals who speak French, French Creole, or Hungarian. Many of the individuals who speak other languages are immigrants or descendants of immigrants. Often, they worked hard to achieve their current status.

If you’re part of the immigrant population, you deserve all the help you can get. The U.S. Immigration Law Counsel can assist you with your requests. Whether you need advice or legal representation, we can give you an advantage in the process. Call our office today and learn about our services.