Requirements for Visa Renewal Foreign Military Stationed in the United States

If you are a foreign military person who is stationed in the United States, you may need to start the process of renewing your visa. This can be quite complex since the Diplomatic Liaison Division in the visa office has particular requirements for the visa renewal process, including who is eligible and the necessary documents. Here is everything you need to know about renewing a visa for a foreign military stationed in the United States, including the type of documentation you need, the application process, and the processing time.

Visas That The Diplomatic Liaison Division Cannot Renew

Before starting the visa renewal process as a foreign military person stationed in the U.S., you need to understand who is eligible for this process. There are some very strict guidelines, and the Diplomatic Liaison Division cannot renew any visas for foreign military members, such as:

  • Nationals of countries that are designated as State sponsors of Terrorism, including Iran, Sudan, and Syria.
  • Members not stationed at a U.S. military base.
  • Members are not assigned to a consulate or to an embassy in the U.S.

Although the Diplomatic Liaison division cannot use the standard U.S. visa renewal process for nationals of State sponsors of Terrorism, there are some special procedures that can allow a visa renewal. Applicants from these countries can appear for an interview with a consular officer if they are 16 and older. The consular officer may waive this requirement depending on the specific case.

An immigrant from a State Sponsors of Terrorism country can be given a visa if the secretary of state, along with the Attorney General and other members of the appropriate United States agencies, decide that the applicant does not pose a safety or national security threat to the U.S.

Visa Renewal Process For Foreign Military Stationed in the U.S.

The U.S. visa renewal procedure can be quite confusing, which is why it is essential that you understand everything that is required. You must take the additional step of hiring an immigration attorney who can guide you through this process and ensure you do everything correctly. This is the best way to ensure you meet the U.S. visa renewal requirements and get approved as quickly as possible.

Required Documentation

A significant amount of documentation is required for the visa renewal process, such as:

  • Valid passport: You will need to have a passport valid for travel to the United States that is also valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay. You can get around this requirement if you are exempt by country specific agreements.
  • Form on I-94 and arrival and departure record: You will need to provide your most recent original form I-94 and your arrival/departure record.
  • Valid photo: You will need to provide a photo taken within the past six months that aligns with the visa renewal photograph requirements.
  • Online application: You will also need to complete the online visa application for either an A, G, or NATO visa or form DS-1648. Include this application by printing the application form confirmation page and have the mission, embassy, or organization seal it.

If you are a foreign military member stationed in the U.S. and you do not have a personal identification number assigned by the Department of State’s office for admissions, you need to submit either a foreign military order, a letter from the U.S. military command, or your NATO orders.

The military spouse visa process is a bit different since this falls into the dependence application process. To get a military foreign spouse visa, you will need to provide some of the same documentation as well as information from the principal applicant’s application and documentation regarding your connection to them.

Submitting Application

Those who are submitting their application in person will need to submit it to the Diplomatic Liaison Division’s diplomatic reception area. For applicants who are submitting through mail, you need to include the required documentation, a self-addressed stamped return envelope, or a completed commercial carrier air bill and envelope. Applications can be mailed to the Diplomatic Liaison Division at the Diplomatic Liaison Division, Department of State, CA/VO/DO/DL, SA-17, Floor 11, Washington, DC 20522-1711.

Processing Times

The visa renewal process does not take very long as the average processing time is between five and seven business days, not counting the date of submission or date of receipt. Keep in mind this is very dependent on how many applications are coming in and how complex each case is.

You may also be wondering about the military spouse green card processing time as this will generally take a bit longer. To get a military spouse green card, the average wait time is between 10 and 38 months depending on where you are applying from.

Checking the Status of Your Application

The best way to stay up-to-date with how your renewal is progressing is to check the status online by using the Department of State’s CEAC status check. To do this, all you need to do is use your CEAC case number and application ID, along with the location where you applied. Through this online system, you can find out if your case has been approved, if it is still being processed, or if it requires more information.

You need to hire an immigration attorney who can help you handle this process and ensure everything that is required is included in your application. They can also help you figure out what to do next if your application requires more documentation before it can be processed.

Are There Any Renewal Fees For Foreign Military Stationed in the U.S.?

The good news for those applying for a visa renewal for foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S. is that there are no fees for A-2 and NATO visa renewals.

Contact an Immigration Attorney Today

Do you need to start the process of renewing your visa as a foreign military person stationed in the United States? Contact us today at U.S. Immigration Law Counsel at 800-666-4996 to speak with an immigration attorney about your case. We deal with the government, so you don’t have to!

Recent News